Monday, May 15, 2017

Joe A. Martinez-Professional Ring/Sports Announcer


Joseph Anthony Martinez

A 1993 graduate of Barstow High School, Joseph Anthony Martinez was born in 1975
in Apple Valley, CA to parents Patricia Reeder (Green) and James Martinez. 
Raised by his mother and stepdad Dan Reeder, who passed away in 1996, he attended Thomson, Cameron, Skyline and Montara elementary schools, Kennedy Junior High and BHS. 

His favorite teacher in high school was retired music instructor, Tim Garvin.  "I would say Mr. Garvin impacted my high school years more than any other teacher I had. Though I was a bit of a misfit in my teen years, Mr. Garvin was one of the first people - outside of my parents - to recognize any potential in me to do something positive with my life," Joe said. "He gave me confidence to attempt things I may have never imagined trying."Joe played the tuba in the Marching Band and Wind Ensemble, soccer for four years, a year of football, baseball and ran track for the Aztecs. "I wasn't the star of any of the sports I participated in," he said, "but I can say without a doubt, if I didn't take a roster spot, break my wrist my senior year in soccer and fall in love with a microphone, I highly doubt I would be where I am today in my career."

Joe went on to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Broadcast Journalism from Cal State University, Fullerton in 1998, but it would be two years earlier that he started his career as a sports announcer when he began working as the stadium announcer for the Lake Elsinore Storm minor league baseball team, an affiliate of the San Diego Padres. 

"What I thought would be a cool college gig with the Storm turned out to be a catapult for my announcing career," he said. "I love to look back on all I've gone through in my life - good and bad - and pinpoint times where God was protecting me or sometimes even allowing me to fall. It took me so long to finally see His hands at work in my life."When asked if there was anything he would differently he said, "Of course I would, but I also wouldn't, if that makes sense. Without my failures, I wouldn't know how to overcome adversity." 

Joe has had an illustrious announcing career in professional sports announcing. He has announced for the Harlem Globetrotters, US Olympic Softball team, the College Softball World Series, professional boxing for HBO, Showtime and is currently the ring announcer for Golden Boy Boxing on ESPN. He is regarded as one of the top microphone handlers in the world and is the first Mexican American to ever announce for the Ultimate Fighting Championship where he continues to serve as the Octagon Announcer several times a year for the cage fighting pioneer. "My career is pretty awesome and it has taken me all over the world, but it doesn't define me," he said. "I am not a sports announcer; it's what I do. 

I am a Christian first and foremost. I give all glory to God."A devout Christian and an ordained minister, Joe and his wife Lena lead their own ministry - Anchor Of Hope - where they reside in Orange County. "God saved me from myself. There were so many times I just wanted to quit life and crawl into a hole, but the Lord changed my heart," Joe said. "How selfish would it be of me if I didn't share His love and grace with everybody? What God has done and continues to do in my life, in my wife, in my family - I'm just blown away everyday." Joe and Lena have four beautiful children. 


Joe's own quotes:

"Challenges all have consequences; the results will be how you accept those challenges."

"If you want your world to change; change your world."Favorite scripture:"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

Website: AnchorOfHopeUSA.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_A._Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment